White Medical Group is a Research Practice. We have been undertaking and supporting research since 2010. Dr Richard Holdsworth is our lead GP on all research projects. We may be involved in a number of research projects at any one time and patients might be invited to participate, if they are suitable, in a particular study. Participation in research is entirely voluntary.
What is Research?
– Research is an investigation that seeks to establish facts and reach new conclusions.
– Clinical Research can also be called a Clinical Trial or a Clinical Study.
– Clinical trials are research studies that involve people.
– They test how well particular treatments work and whether they are safe.
– Clinical trials are designed to answer the following main questions:
– Does a treatment work?
– Does it work better than other treatments?
– Does it have side effects?
What is Primary Care Research?
– Primary Care Research is community based.
– It can include research that takes place in GP Surgeries, dental practices or pharmacies.
– Primary Care Research aims to improve care options and enable future changes to primary care and services.
Other Types of Research
Not all clinical trials involve drugs or treatments. They could also involve:
– Advising a research team
– Participating as a healthy volunteer
– Clinical trials aim to improve the health and quality of life for patients.
– Without clinical trials there is a risk that treatments do not work or could be harmful to patients.
– You can learn more information about your condition and how to manage it.
– You may get access to a new drug or treatment that is only available through a trial.
– You may get faster access or more specialised care.
– You can help support medical science and increase our knowledge of conditions and treatments.
– All research studies are reviewed and approved before they begin.
– Full details of a study and what this means for you will be provided if you agree to be a participant.
– All participation is voluntary. You can withdraw from a study at any time.
More information on research can be found on the National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) website.